Hello Terry,

> I moved my builds to Linux and I can now build a working set of .hex files
> that run on my eval hardware without errors or warnings.

I am interested to know what eval hardware you are using.

> Though there are some parts that appear to be missing, in particular
> the various PORTX constants

I have not used this device, but I think
amforth-6.8/avr8/devices/at90can128/at90can128.frt has the constants
and these can be sent to the mcu with various tools, including
amforth-shell.py which can do many other things too.

http://amforth.sourceforge.net/TG/recipes/Upload.html?highlight=upload

> and the words that operate on them (like pinport).

A lot more words are available as forth code, rather than built-in.
To use them send the forth code to the mcu as above. From amforth-6.8
directory

find . -name *.frt

will show where the files are. amforth-shell.py helps a lot with
including files.

I also found the technical guide and cookbook really helpful.

http://amforth.sourceforge.net/TG/TG.html
http://amforth.sourceforge.net/TG/Cookbook.html

Kind regards,
Tristan