Hello Peter and welcome,

I have just tried the turnkey example from the docs

http://amforth.sourceforge.net/TG/recipes/Turnkey.html

and it works for me.

Your error message[1] ?? -13 23 after the line

' turnkey defer@ Evalue tk.amforth

suggests that you are missing the word Evalue

Have you loaded these files on your mcu?

avr-values.frt
is.frt
ms.frt
defers.frt

as the line

' turnkey defer@ Evalue tk.amforth

depends on words defined in these files.

Secondly, this mailing list message (at the bottom of the message)
shows an alternative approach

https://sourceforge.net/p/amforth/mailman/message/35161327/

: tk.custom
    applturnkey