Okay, maybe I figured out why the i2c-eeprom-blocks.frt wasn't working
right for me.

I re-flashed my 1284 to get a fresh start, then started working on the
simpler i2c-eeprom.frt from the python console. It would sort of work then
get stuck. So I ended up just making a list of inclusions and working
backward manually, only adding a local version when the #include directive
couldn't find the file because it didn't seem to be in the search path. No
problem. It was even nice enough to tell me when I had too many versions of
the file. It is possible I'm not using the tool properly I suppose. In any
case, it seems that I (should) now have a way to play around with an I2C
bus.

Onward (until next time...)

Mark