New User 101,

Any adverse effect on visitors to the site caused by my 5 seconds in
the Sun would be nothing compared to that caused by posts containing
negative personal comments.

All new users start from a base of ignorance, ask silly questions,
only absorb a fraction of the manual and make mountains out of mouse
turds.
Every single one of them will have a different opinion of the
program after one year.
Nothing will lose their custom quicker than showing them disrespect.

Thus endith New User 101.

--- In amibroker@yahoogroups.com, Ken Close <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You might expand your "thinking out of the box" process to realize
several
> points, not excused by hanging out a "newcomers label".
>
> First, this is not a "creative or problem solving" session you are
> broadcasting to, and in fact, your critical comments (not based on
lots of
> experience with the program) could be viewed by other newcomers or
browsers
> as "truth" and thus detract from Tomasz' marketing his program,
which is his
> livelihood.  Second, if you spent some time reading instead of
criticizing,
> you would notice that a "norm" here (you understand norms of
groups, yes?)
> is that suggestions for improvement can be made in several ways,
but carry
> the most credibility when they are phrased politely, do not
detract, and
> have also been sent to the suggestions email address so they can
be logged
> in.
>
> You will find that newcomers are welcome and receive TONS of help
and
> support, but that newcomers who burst in and throw arguments
around, in the
> guise of "logical debate" will fare less well.
>
> From your comments, you sound like you get to the logic of things,
in which
> case, instead of trying to win a debate with the author of the
program (or
> even in response to this reply), you might pose your comments in
pro and con
> format, illustrating the benefits and costs, and trying persuasion
instead
> of assertion.  This usually works well.
>
> Ken

On Behalf
> Of brian.z123
> Sent: Saturday, July 29, 2006 10:47 PM
> To: amibroker@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [amibroker] Re: Indicator Maintenance
>
> Hello Tomasz,
>
> Thanks for your reply and consideration of my points.
>
> I made it quite clear that I was referring to 'industry standard'
> features that are lacking in the program in general and the
workspace in
> particular so it is not a fair response that you only refer to a
few
> particular features that are actually available in one 'pane' of
the
> workspace alone.
>
> I specifically acknowledged that I was wearing my 'new user' hat
and that my
> arguments were 'off the top of my head' (it is generally accepted
in
> 'creative or problem solving' sessions that it is best not to
censor the
> output in the intitial phase).
> I don't think you will find one single example in any post I have
made in
> any forum where I have failed to back up my opening 'silly'
> statements if challenged (there are one or two exceptions where I
withdrew
> but that was done to protect others, not me).
> I also already conceded; 'That (my comments are) of course ...
only a
> [...]
> or partss.
>

> My Proposition:
>
> My proposition is that 'Microsoft like' GUI operating features are
> defacto industry standard (sorry Mac, Linux users etc - I don't
know
> anything about those systems).
> My expectation of programs is that they will equal or surpass
> the 'industry standard'.
> Of course that is a very general statement that can't be easily
> debated without specific examples and in this case I didn't
provide
> any.
> All I ask, at any time, is that each suggestion is considered on
its
> own merit and not 'marked' according to the status of the poster
or
> the prejudices of individual forum members.
> My confidence in that area is a little down at the moment.
>

> Re: a specific example from within the database of existing posts

> Post #195 from the feedback center.
> subject - delete old databases from file menu
>
> I said:
> Consider selection of partial deletions for anything than can be
> separated out i.e retain data and delete categories
> (broker workspace) and vice-versa, layouts?
>
> Reason.
>
> Easy management of old/trial databases.
> Allow removal of parts of database that are known to be incorrect
> while retaining other parts.
> If database is current or default AB will 'know' and make
> announcement and/or adjustment.
>

> You said:
> REPLY by  Tomasz Janeczko
> status - Closed
> Status - Functionality exists
>
> If you mean most recently used database list in File menu - non-
> existing folders ALREADY gets deleted from the menu.
> Just delete the directory using Windows explorer and next time you
> run AmiBroker it won't show up in the File menu.

> Admittedly I did not explain myself very well at the feedback
> center, but I did follow up later with an email via support that
> clarified and detailed my case.
> You could have also asked for further clarification at the
feedback
> center if you weren't sure what I meant.
>

> What is the 'industry standard' for file management within
programs?

> Go to the program file menu and delete the old program
> files/databases that the user no longer requires.
> View all of the program files/databases in a hierarchical tree and
> enact commands from there.
>
> What is the AB standard?
>
> Close AB (or go out of AB?), go to Windows Explorer and delete old
> databases from there.
>
> What specific delete features could AB provide that MS can not be
> expected to?
>
> If the user attempts to delete a database that is selected in AB
> preferences as the default, Windows Explorer will not delete it.
> If file/delete existed in AB the user could be given a
message 'this
> database can not be deleted as it is the default. To delete this
> database go to tools etc'.
>
> The AB database folder also contains components that have extra
> relevance to the user. The user might want to keep the symbol
> lists/categories and just delete all price data.
> File/delete in AB could provide users with appropriate delete
> options to do that type of thing and also warn as to the
> consequences of each action.
>
> The above, existing case, is a reasonable example of the 'industry
> standard'/AB gap.
> At the least it is worthy of consideration and discussion.
> If I don't post any new examples in the future it will only be
> because I choose to conserve my energy and/or that I am not
entirely
> comfortable in the feedback center (it is not democratic enough
for
> my liking).
>
> Regards,
>
> BrianB2.
>

> --- In amibroker@yahoogroups.com, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@>
> wrote:
> >
> > > In my opinion AB lacks many of the ergonomic features that
have
> > > become defacto industry standards elsewhere e.g. database
> > > management, file and folder management (copy, paste, delete,
> drag &
> > > drop, autobackup/recovery, right click properties, exchange
> formula
> > > files etc).
> >
> > What? Delete, drag drop, move (rename), new file/new folder
> > and all file functions are available
> > from Chart menu. TO drag-drop file from one folder to another use
> > RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON DRAG (not left - left is used for chart
> overlay).
> >
> > > However Tomasz didn't appear to be amenable to ergonomic
> suggestions.
> >
> > You are here way too short to say things like that. Newcomers
are
> so quick to judge.
> >
> > Go watch the history of the software. I have implemented tens of
> thousands
> > of improvements. Including 'ergonomic' ones.
> > Go to Release Notes document and see the list of improvements
> > that were just added over last 5 years (note that AB is around
for
> 11 years)
> >
> > Also what is ergononic for you it is not ergonomic for somebody
> else.
> > For example, I hate ergonomic in the "Office Assistant"-way.
This
> is kind of "ergonomic"
> > is counter-productive. And I know lots of people who think the
> same.
> >
> > Give yourself at least ONE YEAR of AmiBroker experience and THEN
> start
> > talking about ergonomics. You will soon find that things are
more
> well-thought that
> > you ever dreamt about.
> >
> > Best regards,