I agree. That's what it should be. The Wizard. A Tool for Newcomers AND for
experienced programmers ...

Regards, Ton.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Herman
  To: Paul Ho
  Cc: amibroker@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 3:31 AM
  Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: AFL code wizard - preview presentation

  Regardless of what personal opinions anyone of us may have, the fact is that
the wizard will help newcomers pick up on AFL quicker and that it will help
part-time traders to be more productive. Perhaps, at some future date, it may
even help advanced programmers optimize their code. Compare writing native AFL
to writing hand-coded assembly code, most of the time the compiler won't
provide you with optimum solutions but it is still nice to see how the compiler
solves the problem and perhaps pick up some ideas, or copy a few lines of code.
Sometimes doing this can be a major time saver for even the experienced
programmer - in any programming language.

  Someone referred to the wizard as a "stepping stone" and I think that is a
perfect description. No matter how advanced the wizard will become it can never
deliver more than writing your own AFL code. The strength of AFL is that it has
powerful basic functions (i.e. looping) that lets you break free from
tradition.  All "wizards" are based on traditional and often over-used
approaches; they "try" to think for you. This is great when you want to learn
but not when you want to think independently.

  In conclusion, it is great to have a wizard but if your are serious about
developing your own trading system let it be your stepping stone to more
original and innovative work. Studying AFL might well be your best investment
in time ever.

  best regards,

  herman