Hi Ray --

The answer to your question is a couple of chapters in my next book,
Advanced AmiBroker.  While waiting for me to finish (no definite date for
release), you might read:
1.  any of Ralph Vince's books.  All are worth reading.  His most recent is
"The Leverage Space Trading Model".
2.  Van Tharp's "Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom".  Get the second
edition.  In the first edition his explanation of expectancy is wrong.  In
the second, it is more nearly correct, but still non-standard.  If you read
his "Definitive Guide to Position Sizing", be aware that all of his examples
are artificial and unrealistic.  There is a thread on Aussie Stocks Forum
discussing that book with many of my comments.
3.  Nassim Taleb's "Fooled by Randomness".
4.  David Aronson's "Evidence Based Technical Analysis".

Several authors correctly point out the importance of position sizing in the
long-term profitability of a trading system.  The very important point to
keep in mind is that estimates of trading results used to determine the
position sizing must come from unbiased out-of-sample data.  Using in-sample
data will seriously underestimate the risk and lead to significant losses or
bankruptcy.

There are two components to the risk analysis, and they must be kept in
balance.
One is the risk a trader is willing to take in his or her account on any
single trade.  The recommended maximum risk is often in the 1 or 2% range.
If a person has a (notional) $100,000 trading account, 1% risk is $1000.
This means that the trader should hold the maximum loss of any single trade
to $1000.
The other is the risk associated with the trading system.  Measure the
(out-of-sample) mean and standard deviation of trades, or mean and maximum
adverse excursion of trades.  The standard deviation or MAE is (almost)
always significantly greater than the mean.  Per trade risk is, or at least
can be, determined as some multiple of standard deviation or MAE.  If a
trading system has an expectancy of 0.5% with a standard deviation of 1.5%
(not an untypical ratio), and maximum risk is computed as 2 times standard
deviation, the risk associated with this system is 3%.

Assume the system gives a signal to buy some issue -- say an ETF that trades
at $50.00 per share.  The maximum risk is 3% or $1.50 per share.  If the
entire $100,000 is allocated, 2000 shares could be purchased.  If the trade
goes bad, $3000 could be lost.  Since the $3000 risk associated with the
trading system is greater than the $1000 risk associated with the account,
the position size is too big.  The maximum position size that can be taken
is the ratio of the account risk to the trading system risk -- 1:3.  To keep
the two risk components in balance, the trader can take a position of 1/3 of
$100,000, or 666 shares.  Even without using leverage or margin, a trader
who takes a position with all of the funds in his or her account is
seriously at risk.  In this example, the trader allocating all the funds is
trading at 3 times leverage in a cash, un-leveraged, account

All trading systems that have a non-zero probability of unlimited loss on
any single trade have a non-zero probability of going bankrupt.  The
probability of that system going bankrupt increases to certainty as trading
continues.

Aggressive position sizing is necessary if a trader hopes to accumulate
serious wealth.  Ralph Vince developed / popularized "optimal f", an
algorithm to calculate the fraction of a trading account that should be
"bet" on any single trade in order to maximize terminal wealth.  Systems
that trade at optimal f are expected to have drawdowns in the 80% range on
their way to the final wealth.  Trading at optimal f, or anywhere near it,
will create drawdowns that most traders cannot tolerate.  In fact, when
applying statistical methods to determine whether a trading system is broken
or not, most systems would appear to be broken before they recovered.  As
Vince points out, trading at a risk level higher than optimal f assures
bankruptcy.  And, as he points out in "Leverage Space", if a multisystem is
being traded (either multiple systems or multiple tradables), if any one of
the systems is traded at a level higher than optimal f, the multisystem is
assured of bankruptcy.

The topic is a little more complex than explained here, but this should be a
reasonable start.

Thanks for listening,
Howard