From: "Jeff Edmonson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

...but, running a rig, with an audio response of 50hZ to 5kHz?  Where
does the "excessive" line stop?

When band conditions (congestion) don't permit it. When the band is crowded, I find receiving bandwidth greater than 6 kc/s unuseable. Under congested condx, audio beyond 3.5 kc/s will probably not be heard anyway, so argument can be made that it should not be transmitted, since it only wastes spectrum space. But under less crowded condx, if you can reasonably expect to be able to open your rx bandwidth to 8-10 kc/s, the extra audio can make a difference, and there is prenty of room in the band for other stations to operate besides 2-3 kc/s away from at AM carrier. That's why I have the choice of two low-pass audio filters in my rig. On 10m. I often run with no filter.

On the low end, the human voice goes down to about 100 cps or below. The voice sounds more natural when these frequencies are present, but it can be counterproductive to boost them to generate "jukebox" sound. Just keep the transmitter response flat and use a good microphone. If bass frequencies are transmitted, they must be balanced by the highs, or else the signal will sound bassy and will be unintelligible under noisy/QRM condx. I balance my bass by using a pre-emphasis curve beginning at 800 cps and reaching about 10 dB at 2000 cps and above. I then sharply cut off the highs above 3400 cps, or gradually cut them off above 5000 cps, selecting the appropriate passive L-C filter.

Don K4KYV