From: "Ed Sieb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

...when Yaesu released the FT-101, with 11m
built-in, the whole 11M band finally went to hell in a hand-basket, and took
500 kHz either side with it.

Back in the early 1980's, I ran the service dep't of a 2-way radio/ham radio outfit, and we did a lot of amateur radio service work from all over North America, including warranty work for Yaesu.

Well over 80% of the FT-101 series we got in for repair (excluding the FT-101ZD, which is a totally different radio), whether owned by licensed hams or not, had 11m xtals installed, with transmit enabled. The earlier versions came with the xtals installed as a standard feature, with "11" indicated on the band select control. On later models, they changed "11" to "aux" and the 11m. band xtals became optional and had to be ordered extra. The rig came receive-only for this band, but I recall it was a matter of either cutting or installing one wire to make it fully transceive. According to the Yaesu manual, the orginal 11m. "receive" capability was offered as a feature so hams could listen for CB activity to tell when 10m. might be open (yes, of course!) Later manuals said the "aux" feature was supposed to make it possible to receive anywhere you chose outside the ham bands (one 500 kHz segment only), but it only worked in the vicinity of 27 hHz. It would have taken a major modification to make it work elsewhere on HF.

That was just after the CB boom had peaked out, and the vast majority of new hams had got their start in radio via CB. When I became licensed in 1959, most hams including myself got their start via shortwave listening.

When the CB boom finally crashed to rock-bottom around 1982 or 83, the outfit I worked for went out of business, and so did many other amateur equipment suppliers, except for the big ones like AES and HRO. VHF 2-way alone wasn't enough to sustain the company where I worked, especially after the FCC deregulated the Land Mobile service and the commercial radiotelephone licence (by then degraded to "General Radiotelephone") was no longer required to legally repair and install commecrial and government 2-way radio systems. Every small town police and fire department in the country decided they could save money by relying on a local CB'er who happened to work in their department to keep their radio system going.

Does that tell you anything about the amateur community that exists today, and the fact that the ham bands in the US were rapidly going down the toilet when Riley came on the scene?

Don k4KYV