I remember the article - I think it may have been reproduced in "SSB for
the Radio Amateur" published by the ARRL in the 50's or 60's. Since I
work with semiconductors, I tried moving a crystal up by etching in
"BOE" (Buffered Oxide Etch) I had access to, several years ago. Ihe rate
of frequency change was so slow I gave up on the project! A more
aggressive (read more concentrated) solution would have been faster, but
I ran out of time & patience to experiment. This method is NOT
recommended - most of the solutions contain HF (hydrofluoric acid), very
nasty stuff! (I'm also a chemist, BTW...)

73,
-Larry/NE1S