Hey, I have a project idea for someone with a good reference library stuck at
home after surgery or otherwise with time on their hands--Build a coil
cross-reference table. My ideal table would have columns labeled FACTORY COIL
ID, FACTORY COIL SPECS, PROJECT EQUIVALENT, and NOTES. So an entry in the table
would go something like this (hypothetical, entirely fictitious example...)

COIL ID: B&W HDVL-10
FACTORY COIL SPECS: 6 turns 1/8' copper tube, 2 inches in diameter, spread
evenly over 5 inches, with link.....etc.
PROJECT EQUIVALENT: 7 turns of #12 solid copper wire, 1-7/8 inches in diameter,
spread evenly over 4.5 inches with link...etc.
NOTES: Factory coil specs from actual measurements. Project Equivalent data
from 1954 ARRL Handbook, page 258. HDVL coil uses 5-pin jack bar with banana
pins evenly spaced from ends. Equivalent coil made by Hallicrafters as their
part number C450B for the HT-4 transmitter. Also has military equivalent
163-7321D-639 made for the BC-610 transmitter.

Or whatever. You get the idea. The PROJECT EQUIVALENT data comes from looking
at projects where they specify a commercial coil but also give coil winding
data... Having this table would allow anyone short a coil or two to quickly
make one up.

Anyway, probably a bonehead idea, and maybe everyone already has one of these
tables. But I don't.

73, Don Merz, N3RHT