I know about the issue of one side of the sine wave being compressed,
have seen it myself but maily on screen grid tubes. If you have a
screen grid tube like a 6GH8 as a preamp, you can adjust the G2
voltage to find the most linear spot. I do it by driving the stage to
near clipping with a triangular wave, and adjusting the screen voltage
until the sides of the triangle are flat. This is applied mostly to
power amps I have reworked which use a 6GH8 pentode for the input amp
and the triode for the phase splitter. I like the sound of a tube
power amp very much.