In a message dated 10/2/03 9:33:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I agree with Larry if for no other reason than this: considering the
> bulk of tubes out there now (NOS and used) are of 20+ year manufacture
> dates, how can the great response heard in so many fine receivers be
> explained? Why also would the audiophools be paying so much for old
> tubes, Amperex, Phillips, or otherwise, if the high end response was
> somehow 'softened'? What is the mechanism for somehow attenuating
> amplification in the same tube that would somehow pass all other
> frequencies just fine, and why? Tuned Mechanical Plate filtering?  If a
> tube loses anything like this over the years, I'd suspect it would be
> across the board myself. I'll even back that up with an equal amount of
> proof and expertise as that given to support the 'softened highs' theory.
>
> OTOH, it *is* true that humans tend to lose their high frequency hearing
> first compared to the rest of their aural range. Maybe the golden ear
> crowd is looking to blame those poor old tubes for the inevitable
> evolution of  golden ears to tin?

It's not the age of mfg. it's the quality. The older tubes hold up better
and exibit less of the loss problems. I think we all are aware that at one
time there was a real quality control but as the market for tubes dropped off
the mfg's loosened that and in the end of American production only
the Mil really had any QC. Ask anyone in the TV service business at the time.
It was real hard to count on a "new" tube working in an old set.
Respectfully,
Bill KB3DKS

multipart/alternative
  text/html
The reason this message is shown is because the post was in HTML
or had an attachment.  Attachments are not allowed.  To learn how
to post in Plain-Text go to: http://www.expita.com/nomime.html  ---