> As far as the NC303/300 goes, if you can get past the style,
> the only big improvement to be done would be the audio output
> (if used), and maybe the addition of a KIWI filter module.
> These are quite like mechanical filters, very sharp.
> One of those would be very easy to add, without hacking
> up the receiver.

Not everyone will agree with you on the "style" issue ... I like it!

Unless KIWI has started making filters at 80 Khz, this isn't an option.  The
303 is 2Khz wide in the SB1/2 positions, and has 3.5 and 8Hhz positions
for AM.  Skirt selectivity is pretty typical of the L/C IF arrangement.

The downsides I've found in both the 300 and 303 include BCB
feedthrough on 80 (solved by using a KIWI BC reject filter in the antenna
lead), and SWBC feedthrough on 20M at night.  There's an internal
tunable trap to null that out, but it isn't terribly effective.  Same in the
300 -
- although for some reason the 303 manual doesn't say anything about it
even though it's in there.

Grant/NQ5T