Hey Ed:
Have the SS-1R, along with the SS-1V panadaptor, the matching speaker,
and SS-1S noise silencer(actually have 4 noise silencers) for about the
last 10 years. Great receiver and the panadaptor works well with it. Only
the Clegg Intercepter uses the 7360 as a balanced mixer. The SS-1R uses 2
7360's as 1st and 2nd mixers. There is no RF Amplifier stage. National's
NCX-3 and NCX-5 used a 7360 in the balanced modulator. The second
iteration of the NCX-5, the MK II cast aside the 7360 in favor of the
more conventional solid-state diodes in the balanced modulator. You're
correct that power supply requirements, lead dress, and tube and
component aging moved them away from the 7360. Swan and Gonset also used
this tube. There are several beam defection tubes in circulation during
the 60's time frame. Unfortunately, none of them are directly
interchangeable with each other unless one is willing to rewire several
pins on the tube socket. Spec wise they are very close to each other.

Pete, wa2cwa

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:46:10 -0500 [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Hi Pete,
>
> Congratulations on the SS-1R!  Do you have the panadaptor for it
> too?  A
> friend has them both and they're quite an interesting set up.  I
> have an
> Interceptor and Interceptor II and I seem to remember that one of
> them uses
> the 7360 as a mixer.  However, I think it mixes the output of a
> crystal
> oscillator with the VFO -- like Drake does in the 4 line -- rather
> than
> using the tube as the first conversion mixer.  Of course the
> Interceptor is
> basically a 6m receiver with built-in 2m meter convertor, but I'm
> referring
> to the convertor in the main or 6m receiver.
>
> I have an RCA receiving tube manual from 1971 that describes the
> application of the 7360 as a balanced modulator or mixer.  I think
> the tube
> can work very well, but requires attention to power supply purity
> and lead
> dress to maintain balance in the circuit.
>
> 73,
> Ed N3CMI
>

> Clegg Intercepter receiver for 6 and 2 meters also used the 7360 as
> mixer. In my Squires Sanders SS-1R receiver, with no signals present
> and
> the antenna connected, the receiver is very quiet. It comes to life
> when
> you tune a signal. The receiver was not very tolerant of random
> length
> antennas  or antennas that didn't provide a decent match to the
> frequencies you wanted to receive. The 7360 was also used as a
> balanced
> modulator in a number of 60's sweep tube SSB transceivers.
>
> Pete, wa2cwa
>
> On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 09:42:23 -0500 Brett Gazdzinski
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Well, I never even seen a Squires Sanders receiver, let alone
> > listened
> > to one!
> >
> > I cant recall offhand any other receiver that used a 7360
> > as a mixer, but need to look in my vacuum tube receiver book,
> > it lists all the receivers with their tube lineups.
> >
> > The ARRL sure liked the 7360, they used it in a lot of their
> > receiver projects, in the 1967 handbook anyway.
> >
> > I suspect the cost of a 7360 was lower back then, not sure why
> > its so expensive now, must be very rare?
> >
> > On the lower bands, I am not sure getting a really quiet mixer is
> > important at all, but have not tried the other designs yet.
> >
> > I never realized just how noisy some receivers are till the
> > first homebrew was done and compared it to the R390A.
> > I guess you think its atmospheric noise, or just get used
> > to it, but I cant stand the R390a anymore.
> >

> > The first homebrew receiver is VERY quiet, but is an odd
> > design, I hope the new one is fairly quiet with the design
> > I picked.
> [...]

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!