-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Donald Chester
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 10:26 AM
To: amradio@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Black D-104

>The Astatic Knight Eagle has all of the features of the Silver Eagle with a
>unique new finish. The main mic body is done in a luxurious black, while
>the
>press bar, grip bar, locking clamp, and grille screen are polished and
>bright
>brass plated. The Night Eagle, also, features an American Eagle embossed on
>the
>back of the D104 head.

These are both CB-ified versions of the classic D-104.  The original didn't
have any eagles embossed on the back of the head or black or golden
finishes.  It didn't even have an amplifier in the base.  The simple
unamplified D-104 with external preamp gives superior performance to the
"power mike" versions.  With 5-10 megohms of grid resistance, decent bass is
even obtainable.

With modern rigs, the power mic feature is necessary, because today's rigs
are typically wired for a 500-ohm impedance, which would look like a dead
short to the crystal element in the classic D-104.  But for a classic AM rig
with xtal mic input, I would steer clear of the "eagles."

Don K4KYV