Far circuits web site has a number of circuit boards for kits that
do 1.8 to 20 MHz, dds and other type vfo's...

Used to be a company making kits for a dds vfo on the qrp sites, but I think
they went out
of business.

I don't think its hard to build a good analog vfo, even using tubes.
My homebrew receiver LO seems very stable, and has a digital readout.
After a few minutes, it seems really stable, more stable than it needs to be
for AM anyway...

I have a PTO assembly out of a T368 that would work well with the digital
display.
The digital display makes it easy to build, as you don't have to worry about
any sort of dial, or dial calibration.
The display reads the exact frequency of the vfo..

Brett
N2DTS