Well, Jim is a VERY good friend of mine.

That said, I'd be interested in a small number of these radios.

So tell him to get that container open, and let's get them out to see light of day. You never know how many will go!

Bob - N0DGN

James M. Walker wrote:

Mark,
As for my ideas, NOTHING is absolutely perfect in radio or anything
else.
Having said that, I think that with a judicious cross section of ideas
the units you describe could be resurrected in a reasonable way, to A)
get them back into operation, and B) convert them to usable range for
160 work. YES, they are old technology, but they can be improved, any
piece of equipment can be improved for the owner/operator it just takes
little effort, some modifications that will make it work to your, and
also
others standards of "Quality".

I say, talk to your friend, see if he wants to recirculate the equipment
if so then get a list and post it so folks that WANT to give it a shot
can make the necessary arrangements with him. As I can't even imagine
having
all that equipment end up in a land-fill somewhere because it didn't
meet
the specs for todays operations. Especially since we have such a large
group
of enterprising folks that as W3BYM says, "Can Fix Anything".

Keep me posted and if you need help, sign out, I will volunteer
assistance.

"Drive On"
Jim
WB2FCN

Mark Cobbeldick wrote:
WOW !!!

Thank you to everyone who responded via postings and private e-mails.

In answer to Jim's [WB2FCN], I don't have any data on the radios...yet.
Let me explain:

    I work in the land mobile two-way radio field as a Product Support
Engineer & Master Technician at the factory in Lynchburg, Virginia.
One of my customers (...and an old ham friend) is the senior tech at
large marine dealer/service shop in Southern California.  The other day
while discussing a technical issue with a radio we got chatting about 2
MHz marine radios, and the old AM Radiotelephone rigs.  He mentioned
that he had a 20-foot shipping container's worth of the equipment
sitting in his warehouse, the business owner would love to get rid of!
He had pulled a couple of them out recently and they still worked OK!
...Would I be interested in 1, 2 or more of them?

He is planning to move to Eastern Tennessee in the not too distant
future, and would not mind putting a few of them onto the moving truck
for me.  This is what prompted my question to the list.

I have a somewhat special place in my heart for AM Phone, and 160
Meter/2 MHz marine radio.  When I was about six or seven, I converted
an old (tube) AM Band table radio up to 160m band and the lower portion
of the 2 MHz marine band.  The Loop Antenna was glued inside of the
pressed paperboard rear cover.  I wrapped several turns of insulated
hook-up wire around this loop antenna and ran it outside to a 100-foot
longwire and a ground.  Growing-up down in Miami(Fla) and over in the
Bahamas, I had tons of radio traffic to listen to from all over the SE
USA and the Caribbean!  Later in the 1970's when folks started
converting over to SSB, I even built a BFO for the darn thing.

Hearing about all the goodies he had stashed, made me remember the old
days, wondering if I could "recycle" one of these fine old marine
radios over to amateur service.

73,
Mark A. Cobbeldick [KB4CVN, C6AMC]

...Also, a Big Hello to Joe [W4AAB]: 'Crawfish' it has been far too
long.  I hope all is well.

<                      Bob Bethman - N0DGN
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| N0DGN AMRadio Manassas, VA    |    REAL Tube Radio and AM        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|       Manassas Radio - Home of Homemade Kielbasa & Pirogi        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| rbethman(at)comcast.net   \\ ~ ~ //      signal does *NOT* mean  |
|                           (/ @ @ /)      that everything is OK " |
+-------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo----------------------------+
|               <http://home.comcast.net/~rbethman>                |
| 1 BC-610I w/BC-614I,1 T-213/GRC-26 w/BC614I 1 '51 Collins R-390A |
| 1 '67 EAC R-390A, Heathkit DX-60, Apache, Mohawk, SX-101, HT-32A |
|           Amateur Astronomer - Celestron Nexstar 8               |
|             12" f5 Dob coming soon!  Being built                 |
|                  Meade ETX-60 (Got it back!)                     |
|               38 Deg 46.8' N - 77 Deg 28.5' W                    |
|   Opinions expressed are that of my own and do not necessarily   |
|         coincide with or represent those of ANYONE else          |
 ALL E-mail received and sent scanned by AVG & Norton Anti-Virus>