-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tom Elmore
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 2:26 PM
To: Discussion of AM Radio
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] B&W 5100B

The B&W 5100 transmitter I recently acquired does not have the original
modulation transformer but a replacement made by Stancor.  When I modulate
the transmitter with a 400 Hz tone about 50 % into a dummy load I see a
significant decrease in power at least 25 watts. I measured this with both
my Bird and Coaxial Dynamics wattmeter.  I don't see a return to normal
power until I remove the modulation. I'm wondering if the primary and
secondary on the modulation transformer are possibly backward. The original
owner included some documentation for the mod transformer that shows it's
possible to use either the primary or secondary winding connected to the
plates of the modulator tubes in my case 6146's for different types of
transmitters and impedances.

-Tom