Tom, a 6146 needs its screen modulated along with its plate, or it won't
modulate well at all.  If your transmitter provides screen voltage to the 6146
output stage from another source, it needs some kind of modulation.  Somewhere
around 60% mod on the screen is enough.

Sometimes this is done with a separate winding on the mod transformer (which
you don't have with the A-3894).   If screen voltage comes from a lower voltage
supply, you could get self-modulation using about 150V through a choke of about
50 henries, to give around 20K impedance at the low frequency end.  The screen
draws less current at higher plate voltages and more current at low plate
voltages, so an impedance in series with the screen causes self modulation.
Surprisingly, the screen tends to modulate itself by about the needed amount
despite the varying impedance of the choke over frequency.

In my Viking II, I used a 20K resistor from unmodulated B+ (600V), and the
screen self-modulated pretty well.  See "The Self-Modulated Screen" in AM
Press/Exchange issue 98 ( http://www.amfone.net/AMPX/98.htm ).  Also check
"Class C Optimization for Ultra Low Distortion" by WA1KNX, in AM Press/Exchange
issue 71 ( http://www.amfone.net/AMPX/71.htm ). Maybe you could put the screen
dropping resistor to a tap on the mod transformer secondary. But, if the 5100
uses a low voltage screen supply and a series choke, you would need to add a
clamp tube if you switched to the dropping-resistor design.

Maybe you could whip up a screen co-modulator that would put out 150VDC with an
adjustable amount of modulation, that tracked the modulation in the plate
voltage.  Then you could experiment with different amounts of screen modulation.

  Bacon, WA3WDR