> Any comments as to why I saw the drop off in power when the signal was
> modulated?  If anything, I expected to find a soft rectifier tube.  Also,
> the drop in Ip and Ep associated with the drop in power was about 20 mA and
> 20V respectively; certainly not enough to account for a 40W drop in output
> power!

It's been too long since I had my fingers on a DX a'hunnert, Mark...  but if
it's
anything like the Johnson equipment, you probably need to pay special attention
to the Oscillator and Buffer stages, which affect grid drive.  These stages can
be
mis-tuned, causing an unwanted situation in the control grids of the 6146
finals,
which are common in both rigs.

No more than 5mA of Ig is recommended on a pair of 6146's.  Johnson even
had a 'red-line' in some of their equipment, to indicate that grid drive should
be
'no more than this level'.

Another cause of final instability, would be neutralization of the push-pull
final.
A most picky and delicate thing, the higher in frequency you operate.  Not so
critical on lower frequencies.

Perhaps these ideas might help your situation... I don't remember seeing the