Chris,

    I cannot operate my ham rig late at night because of today's speakers on
computers, and surround sound movie rooms. The advent of THX, Dolby digital
5.1, has brought a new problem to hams. All those satellite speakers with
built in amplifiers are a nuisance to us all. I had a neighbor with a $2000
set of speakers. These would fire up and talk whenever I was on the air. So
late at night ham activity kept my neighbor awake. He even tried
disconnecting the speakers, and wrapped the wire around the case. My voice
still came out. It was like on the three stooges where the medical intercom
would call out, "calling Dr.'s Larry, Mo, and Curly"..

        That AM rig in the dorm was 30 years ago. I do recall getting RF burns
off
the window frame! No good ground at the third level of the building, except
for maybe the radiator pipes, widow frame, and cold water pipe. I think I
just tied the radiator pipe to the rig as a ground to go with the window
frame.

        I too use vinyl LP's and a old Marantz turntable. I use a reworked
Sherwood
tube amplifier with a combined FM tuner. That is another story. Here is a
piece of that:

http://pages.prodigy.net/jcandela/Sherwood_S8000/HV_REG/regulator.htm

Regards,
Jim