I'll confess.
Many years ago in my partially misspent youth, long before I got a ham license, I had compiled a 90 minute tape of old music and '50's commericals (commercials found on discarded tapes from a broadcast station), and played this every sunday at noon on the CB channel 30 while I drank whiskey. I was near a highway and for an antenna I used the outer shield of the cable TV wire, which ran about 200' before it got to a place where there was a ground wire. I used a modified-for-fidelity Radio Shack TRC-458 Navaho base station (even with a 500 ohm balanced audio input) and a home made 100 watt PEP linear with a pair of 6146's and ran 20W carrier, and a home made antenna tuner got the current flowing into the cable's shield. I would sometimes start it running and, instead of drinking, go for a drive to see how far it would go and still sound good. I was getting about 10 miles and the audio quality was superb. Once, a neighbor asked me if I had ever heard music on the telephone. "Huh? never heard of such a thing, must be a wire crossed" was the reply to that one..

Occasionally, when I would get done, someone in DX land would say 'play some more' or "[EMAIL PROTECTED] why can't ya play something different!!"

I suppose I am a redneck. HOO-Whee!! Those were some fun days. Had a souped up pontiac GTO and a betamax too.

I niether get drunk (Come to Jesus) nor play music on the air (got ham ticket and swore to the Wouff Hong) any more.

I am still interested in high fidelity, but I use a good dummy load when I play, and generally use specific waveforms and frequencies to make measurements.

That base station's still around here somewhere, but it's been un-modified and adjusted back to factory specifications as it should be. It's a great SSB rig, as CB radios go.

Catch ya on the flip flop, er.. 73,

Patrick