Hi Byron: 144.400 is still legal but you wont make any friends 10 KHz down.
Their FM receivers are lots wider than our AM receivers, in general.
I have ground some crystals for 144.320 and 144.360 MHz ( one calling and
one working freq.) Remember though, most AM receivers are tunable so you can
work "cross frequency" if you can get their attention. I too have a TV-7
FAA Tx (had 2 and gave one to a friend).

I have worked Texas many times before on CW and SSB, especially in the
summer but we usually have a few openings in January or Feb. Let me know if
you hear anything or would like a schedule.  Good luck on AM.

73 DE Charlie,  K0NG  ..