Thank you to everyone who replied.  I have a good place to start.
Going to order crystals for 29.0 and 29.1 next week, then start the
retuning after they are received.

An old ham friend of mine in Georgia just gave me a RS HTX-10 mobile,
which also has AM.  I will try playing with that until the CB to 10m
conversion is done.    But tube rigs still sound better to me!

BTW: Been seeing a lot of good DX on the FM end of the 10m band lately.
 I run converted commercial gear on 29 MHz FM, and run the 10m fm list
on Yahoo <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AR29MHz-FM/> but have been
wanting to play on 10m AM too.  This will be a good start.

I work professionally in the two-way radio business as a Master
Technician at the factory in Lynchburg, VA, and know all too well how
easy it is to get burned-out and not want to tinker with amateur radio
as a hobby.  (I was that way for years...)  But I grew-up listing to
stories recounted by my Elmer (Santiago, WA4KSD) of the 50's heyday of
10m & 6m AM Phone.  By mostly staying off the 2 & 440 repeater bands
and doing something a tad different, the hobby is still fun.

73,
Mark Cobbeldick, KB4CVN
Monroe, VA