On 28 Nov 2004 at 15:43, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The EL-34s are good tubes.   Couple of these will put out a lot more audio
> running AB1 than a pair of 807s.   Swapped a pair into a Viking 2 a while ago
> and eliminated many of the well known audio shortcomings found in the stock
> version of that rig.

I am not sure how you quantify a lot more audio, but we probably
could not hear the difference unless you could squeeze at least
an extra 25-30 watts out of them, and even then it would be barely
perceptible. My guitar amplifier with four EL34s is barely louder
sounding than my other guitar amplifier with four little EL84s in it!
The tone is not as good, and it only really sounds louder
on the lower registers. 30 watts versus 100 watts is not that
much when it comes to audio. It certainly doesn't sound 3 times
louder! Not even close.