From: Bob Macklin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 5:56 PM
To: Merz Donald S; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; 'Amradio (E-mail)
Subject: Re: GB> Antenna Tuner Wonderings

With BA unit wit Pi networks you don't need a TransMatch (they ARE NOT
antenna tuners). Most will match anything between 50 and about 500 ohms. One
exception is the Heath DX-60. It is limited to 50 to 75 ohms becase of the
built in LP filter.

You need a resonant antenna for each band you want to work. Some could be
multi band antennas.

A TransMatch does not correct antenna problems. It hides them from the
transmitter. The Pi network in the BA rigs is the same thing that was in
older transmatches to connect link couples transmitters to coax lines.

It is the solid state riceboxes that really need a transmatch.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ/7
Seattle, Wa.

"REAL RADIOS GLOW IN THE DARK"