David,

I was wondering about the meter, have you disconnected
it and set up a test circuit at lower voltage to see
how it reacts?  Maybe even removing it from the panel
and test, then back in the panel and compare test.

You said that the meters are mounted on an insulated
plate.  Is the plate really insulated?  A build up of
dust and dirt over the years could provide a leakage
path.

>From where we sit it is an interesting problem, but
from your seat I will bet the feelings are different.
Let us know what you find.

Another thought, what about a different meter either
hanging off the side or in place of the suspect one?

good luck

73's
Roger
KC8OPP