> On Thu, 26 May 2005 04:49:30 -0700 (PDT) VJB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> writes:
> > Pete,
> >
> > I can't remember making any requests to the League that would be
> of
> benefit only to myself.

Didn't say it would only benefit yourself. I said "you desire that
one-on-one personal attention direct from Newington"

> > It's kinda like filing comments with the FCC, some people talk a
> lot, some people take action.
> >
> > Have you ever participated on behalf of the hobby in a rulemaking
> proceeding, Pete? I can't find you anywhere listed. Maybe you're too
> busy defending the League to actually, uh, take some action.

There's been little before the FCC over the last ten years that has
tweaked me enough to submit comments to them. However, as my
Director had stated in the "Grassroots" forum at Dayton, I generally
direct my comments and concerns on various HR bills and issues like BPL
to my
US representatives and/or US senators.

Part of my Director's, Frank Fallon,  pitch at Dayton:  Fallon said
ARRL members need to get very vocal about legislative issues of
importance to Amateur Radio. One way to do that is by visiting, writing,
e-mailing or faxing their US representatives or US senators. "Your
letters, e-mails
and visits to district offices give us entrée to legislators in
Washington," he said. "It won't happen without your help." Personal
visits to lawmakers at their district offices, he said, help to "put a
face on ham radio" for politicians. The grassroots lobbying effort now
being going into place  will work from the ARRL Division level through a
Division
Legislative Action Chair, then down to a State Legislative Action
Coordinator, who will
have help from Legislative Action Coordinator Assistants. The focus will
be on measures
that deal with FCC matters, because Congress oversees the Commission.

To read the full text, go here:
http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/05/20/1/?nc=1

Personally Paul, based on our past dialogue, your Director, for all
practical purposes, is nothing more than a stone bump. You should try
approaching
your Vice-Director with your issues and concerns and see what
type of reaction and dialogue you get. Vice-Directors have little to
no power but does have the Director's ear and does sit in on most of the
BoD
meetings. Since you are an ARRL member, there is nothing stopping you
from announcing your candidacy to run for Director of your Division.

Personally I think you would make a great Director and add a breath of
fresh air to a somewhat, at times, stodgy and "rubber stamp" set of
current members of the Board. By getting out your thoughts and ideas to
local clubs and hamfests in your Division, you can make others aware of
the inadequacy of the current Director and/or Vice-Director, and at the
very least, raise the awareness to the Director that his current methods
of conveying information to and from his members is not working. Remember
though, if elected, you'll have to work for free, but you'll have a
direct hand to
shaping ARRL direction, policies, and amateur radio's future.

Pete, wa2cwa