John,

   I am not a big fan of Johnson VFO's, but they are
definately a step up over Heath with the VF-1. So in
the spirit of "tongue in cheek", the easiest way to FS
a Johnson VFO is to plate modulat the rig! Actually
that comment might apply more to an Appache, then a
Valiant.

   On the more serious side, diode (6AL5) switching
may be fine for a fixed downward shift. You could also
add a FM reactance modulator, and key the input
voltage between two pre-determind DC levels. I once
used a W6SAI reactance modulator (6BA6) in a HEATH
VF-1. Had to regulate everything including the
filaments (on pure DC) to minimize drift, and FM from
60 hz. This worked great until the mechanical aspects
of my VF-1 degraded such that the contacts were all
shot, and frequency hopping was the result. That VF-1
was personally delivered to the landfill with a swift
kick.. I spent way too much time on the POS. :-(

Good luck with your project,
Regards,
Jim Candela
WD5JKO