Howdy,

The fellow who made the comment about the noise being all over the eastern part
of the US is correct.  We have been unindated for years on the 3810 AM net that
meets on Sundays in the NC/SC area.  What is really strange about our RFI is
that it seems to drift up and down the band, but when it finds an AM signal, it
will stop there and hang around, many times while a station is transmitting,
only to resume its drift after the station stops radiating.  It will zero in on
the stronger AM signals too, marginal signals during the net it will pass by.
Various members of the group have done the usual, call Riley, and they have
received replies from him.  They all run along the lines of, "yes we (the FCC)
looked into it and it is is military and don't ask again."  I have RDF'd it
from my location in Western NC using an old Bendix RDF and get a consistant
south (180 deg)  angle on it, which points to a myriad of military
installations in SC and  GA.

Don't know if it is still in use, but years ago, there was a military emergency
comm set that rode the carrier of WWV to enhance coverage.  You all have
probably noticed that a signal placed just in the right spot on a strong AM
carrier will actually ride along and sound much stronger than if transmitted in
the clear.  Perhaps the signal down here in the south is something along this
line.  At least it is more of a nuisance than a source of serious QRM.

Charlie, W4MEC in NC

http://mail.yahoo.com