In a message dated 7/29/05 4:12:42 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Anyways was wandering what some of you guys are useing that are not useing
> matching speakers for there receivers. Also the Hammarlund calls for 4 ohm
> speaker and was wandering if the audio fidelty would still be OK useing an 8
> ohm speaker of some sort?

Herb,

Well, I use a pair of Hammerlund speakers with my 51J4 and R390A.   Also, a
cheap "Hi-fi" speaker with my AR-88 and a Hallicrafters R-42 with my HQ-180.
Other combinations as required. Four, 8, 16 ohms speaker/reciever impedances
-- mix them all up and I, at least, can't tell any difference (am sure there
will be some comment on this).   Impedance matching does become an issue,
though, with the military stuff which usually has 600 ohm outputs (my R390A
audio
has been modified for 8 ohms).   Some of the old Hallicrafters sets had 2000
and
5000 ohm outputs the these require a matching transformer which was included
in Hallicrafters speakers of the period.

Dennis D. W7QHO
Glendale, CA