Ed,

  I always admire those about to undertake such a
project. I don't have a circuit for you, but I will
share a few ideas. If you do use grid driven, it will
likely need to be class AB1 (zero drive power to tube,
i.e, just voltage), or class Ab2 where the grid draws
a little grid current on modulation peaks. In either
case, 25 watts will be way too much. Given the above
choices, I'd use Ab1, and a passive 50 ohm grid input
resistor, and scale the drive just short of grid
current. Still you will need a grid bias supply, and
screen supply in addition to a plate supply. That is a
lot of stuff, but hey, why not if you want to do it?

Another approach, and I'm being a little simplistic
here, is to think of a 4-400 in grounded grid as
something similar to or about 4/5 a 3-500Z. A Heath
SB-220 does legal limit AM with under 25 watts
(carrier) of drive with two 3-500Z's in parallel G-G.
No screen supply needed, and bias if necessary is easy
with a power zener diode. So a 4-400 configured as a
GG linear should be good for 150 to 200 watts am
carrier output, and only need 10-15 watts carrier for
drive. My figures are a SWAG, but I'd bet they are in
the ballpark.

Thanks for reading,
Jim Candela
WD5JKO