Hello,

Well, I have a ham buddy that purchased that top dollar amp from Australia,
which he cusses nightly by the way.  He installed in another room, separate
from his shack, running an external blower through it that is just short of
enough thrust to coax an F16 into the air.  He likes to say that he has it for
the ability to run "The American Legal Limit" on SSB.  The amp is capable of
putting out 5KW, which does seem to help in breaking that DX pile up.

Soooo....I don't think the FCC has the capability to determine your power input
via through the air monitoring, unless they know your transmitter type and
efficiency, feedline characteristics, antenna gain/height, distance from
station etc.  Their primary reason for looking at you is when they get
sufficient complaints from outside sources about RFI.  So, stick to the rules
and be safe, but every now and then, crank that AM rig up where it was designed
to run, and blow the carbon out.

Charlie in NC

http://mail.yahoo.com