The "phone companies" are not just wire line companies any more!! They are not
just interested in wire and wireless services, but getting fiber optics to your
house.  With fiber, you can have nearly unlimited bandwidth that can provide
telephone, data (high speed internet service), video (replace CATV), and
perhaps many other new services that they haven't even thought of yet.  The
power companies want a piece of the pie, but they are just kidding themselves
if they think they can compete wth a garbage service like BPL.  It is , by far,
a technically inferior service.  It also , unlike any other "landline based
services", has the potential to create damaging interference to existing
licensed RF-based services on the HF spectrum.

If the power companies were smart (??) they would use their ride-of-ways to
build fiber optic backbones.  They could also partner with telecom companies to
provide services at competitive prices instead of causing disruption and
discourse!!!

Just my 2 cents worth as a 35 year veteran of the telecom business.

73,
Jack, W9GT