John,
Glen Zook K9STH has a good paper on the variants posted on his web site
I think this is a good URL.   http://home.comcast.net/~k9sth
Good luck, George KB2Z

At 12:15 PM 8/28/05, you wrote:

Thanks to Jim, Larry et. al. for the great advice on my Valiant restoration project.

I'm very interested in the common wisdom re: the 6146 variants that 'work' in this rig.

Now, I've been a boatanchor fan since they were state of the art - have done quite a bit of tube design, mostly audio though, and I do have quite extensive documentation on most tubes made in the last 100 years.

So really there's probably no excuse for this question other than laziness - what exactly are the 6146 characteristics that the Valiant design "favors" over the other variants? A freind who has re-built a lot of these rigs says to only use 'plain' ones. In my ignorance, I bought a nice full set of 'W's and the transmitter wouldn't even resonate on any band. ;{} I put three 'B' s in the finals, and we're where we are now - OK on 20M and above, 'runs away' below that.

   What do y'all recommend for Valiant finals / modulator tubes?

On the HV B+ filter issue - mine are iffy, were replaced sometime in it's history, but I'm going to renew them - what is the recomendation for a more 'modern' replacement - keeping in mind that I'm looking for the best AM fidelity I can squeeze out of this rig.

  Cheers

John  KB6SCO