Don,

I suspect they may not be very wet if they haven't been in contact with
water or condensation. I bought a CVM-5 that had been in an outside
shed that was hit by a tornado. It was rusted, there was a roof over it
but hardly any walls left. Any driven rain would have gotten on it, and
it was in high humidity.(Alabama) But since they are so rare, I bought
it anyway.

Upon checking, it had about 1-2 megs to ground. If I'd needed in then,
I'd probably tried it at that level. One meg. per 1,000 volts used to
be the rule. But I put it in my basement Ham Shack in Alabama and it
set there in the dry for about a year. I kept checking it and it
steadly was going up. When I was ready to use it, for my HB 810's x
810's it read infinity! No heat, not anything but a dry heated and
cooled basement!

They should be checked with a megger though, It applies a DC voltage
usually 500, or 1,000 volts. Most electricians, or any motor shop has
these.

GL
Gary WB8BEM/8