SSB is a orm of amplitude modulation.

I think a large threat comes both from SSB and from
the DIGITAL ops running certain modes.
The majority of the digital ops are a good bunch and
they respect the phone and AM  mode phone ops.

However, some of the proponents of PACKET on HF
are very well connected politically and financially
and they are exerting al ot of control ove rthe ARRL
leadership now, and they even want to make all of HF
digital including the voice functions, so they are a threat
to both SSB and AM modes.

A far greater threat, believe me, than the proponents
of hi-fi SSB which is perfectly legal.