To: <amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2005 11:30 AM
Subject: [AMRadio] Ladder-line mounting question

Just got my fence-perimeter NVIS loop installed yesterday (thanks to the kind slave-labor assistance of Brad, KB7FQR). I'm using 450-ohm feedline from the loop back to the tuner in the shack. It comes thru a hole in the shack wall and I had planned to suspend it along the rafters on those large 'bicycle hooks' for the 20 or so feet from the entry point over to where the Gear all lives.

It has been suggested that this is a Not Good Thing - that any metallic object like that touching the ladder-line will alter the impedance, stress the insulation, etc.

I can see the insulation concern, but I don't get how a pice of 3/8ths steel rod covered with plastic at right-angles to the feedline conductors can make much of an impedance bump.

So I thought to solicit the general wisdom of those of us who might know the real 411 on this subject, because I'm not the brightest bulb in the marquee when it comes to HF antennae and feedlines.

 Cheers

John  KB6SCO