It does not seem as though they deliberately relegate AM to a footnote, it looks more like the effort is only to give AM its due, while keeping the "hi-fi SSB" stuff at bay. That's what I see anyway, between the lines.

They could have as easily put the AM exception statement in each cell of the table, then it would not be a footnote, but that would have messed up the table and beaurocrats like nice orderly documents. VE VILL HAFF ODAH!!

I think we should be glad for the '9K' limit on AM and not make too much noise lest they decide 6K00A3E is the legal limit!

problems, however:

No ISB. why? maybe because of the 3.5KHz rule.. So much for the Harris Monstrosity I am trying to obtain. It can do voice on one sideband and data on the other. I know it's a military specialty, but it's nice!

And I would like to see the rules for AM go back to the traditional "KW input". It's no good for a 4-1000 to operate at 2000V and boil off all those electrons from the filament and not use them! Wishful thinking I suppose. -but the upside is I can use the absolute worst pulls!!

http://www.arrl.org/announce/regulatory/bandwidth/Bandwidth-Minute-64-Petition-FINAL.pdf

Who's running the ARRL and FCC anyway? :)

PJ