Now, be it known to all hams by these presentiments: That I have never owned or operated a 'real' RF amplifier before - I've always run at whatever power the transmitter in use was rated for. So forgive me for asking questions that might be 'obvious'.

I got around to wiring in the 220 circuit for my 'new' Ameritron AL-80 [note it's a plain -80, not an 'A' or 'B'] to see how much smoke I could make.

I took out the tube (3-500Z) and brought it up slow on a variac and 100W lamp-load - got it up to full line voltage with 2600V registering on the meter. Checked the tube for gross shorts and fil continuity - good to go. Put the tube in, plate cap off - fils light, fan runs - I left it to soak for an hour or so.

Shut it off, put on the plate cap, hit the power sw - BAM! as Emeril might say. A large blue flash went off in the tube and I welded the line fuse to it's cap. And smoked the meter dropping resistor - though it's been replaced before, I see.

So obviously the jug is toast - or is it? Am I missing something really stupid here? I thought to ask right before I buy a nice new one and cream it, too...

Finally, I have no manual for this unit, and BAMA only lists the "A" version, which of course is substantially different. I have found one book for sale at a 'manuals' website, but if anyone has one that they'd like to loan me for copying - I'll make a PDF of it and send you back the original plus CDR, and pay for the shippin'.

  Cheers, and Happy Thanksgiving....

John  KB6SCO