John,

   I to am a novice at this stuff. I'm having trouble
visualizing your antenna. You said,

>"the fence - of about
> 450 feet diameter, and nearly (but not quite)
> square."

Could you clarify this to me?

  I too have a horizontal loop. Mine is about 15' off
the ground, and has about 240' of wire (roughly 4 X
60'). I feed it with 450 ohm ladder line to the
ground. My antenna is resonant at about 3.9 Mhz, and
the impedance at SWR minimum (1.5:1) is about 80 ohms.
I measure this right on the ground between the ladder
line and my DPDT knife switch (I ground it out when
not in use). I  then use a 1:1 current balun, and
RG-8X coax to the shack.

   My first try was to convert from 450 to 300 ohm tv
twin lead at the hole in the wall, and go straight to
a Johnson 275 matchbox with 300 ohm twin lead. This
was dismal since the Johnson matchbox doesn't seem to
have a wide tuning range to feed 80 ohms balanced. It
did work unbalanced however, but poorly. So I switched
to coax after a 1:1 balun for the run inside. If I do
it again, and intend to feed this antenna at
resonance, 75 ohm coax straight all the way might be
an option.

   This loop loads up like a SOB, and absolutely NO RF
in the shack. The problem though is that my signal
reports are usually poor (often) to great (once in a
while). It seems that for this to work efficiently as
a low horizontal loop (high angle radiator) for short
skip, I need  good soil conductivity, or counterpoise.

Stations beyond 500 miles can hardly copy me, and yet
I can sometimes be full scale at 150 to 200 miles out
early in the evening.

Regards,
Jim
WD5JKO