For  Dan -- WAØJRD,

You may want to initially use a 2nd receiver combined
with the transmitter in the FT-101. The rig has a
provision on the back with an RCA jack to take your
service antenna over to an external source unless
transmitting. The internal receiver remains active,
but you can just pot it down.

This lets you spend time on efforts to refine the
transmit audio while not givng you the FT-101
receiver's distortion, vulnerability to overload on
strong signals, limited audio response and the expense
of a 6Kc filter.

I ended up using my FT-101EE as an RF exciter for a
1953 homebrew transmitter that I completed in 1976.
Most recently it was up on 10 meters, where the 101's
stability proved very nice.

For the modifications you may wish to consider, check
this link.

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/ft101.htm

Rgds,
Paul/VJB