Bacon,

As usual your explanations are correct. Broadcast AM stations gave up on high level negative clipping long ago because of splatter out 50 kcs or more even before the almost universal switch to Class D systems. The best high level plate modulated system while pretty good as in the BTA-1R RCA still can't hold a candle to the low IM and harmonic distortion and carrier phase modulation of modern Class D transmitters. They are real good to 110% and quite acceptable to 125% + mod even with the VERY tight rules on splatter in the AM broadcast service. The audio band input filters ahead of all transmitter audio are typically 9-11 poles starting at around 8 khz rolling down to about 30 dB at 9 kcs.

Larry  W3LW