73,  Jack, W9GT

From: "Clay Curtiss W7CE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > AM is no different from
> > this. It is an old modulation that adds nothing to advancing the
> > technological art, and should be
> > confined to bands where there is ample spectrum available.
> >
> > Richard L. Tannehill P.E. - W7RT
>
> Based on his argument, CW, SSB, FM and RTTY should be eliminated also. All
> are VERY old technologies that could be replaced with high tech digital
> modes. There's room in ham radio for all of our sub-hobbies. I wish
> everyone would quit acting like their particulat interests are the only
> valid parts of the hobby.
>
> Personally, I like operating vintage equipment on AM, chasing DX especially
> on 80M and 6M, and designing antennas. I haven't ever used any of the
> digital modes which is kind of ironic since I am an Electrical Engineer and
> design digital ICs for a living (including some digital modulation systems
> that use DSP). I plan to start building on EME station so I may go digital
> to work stations below the noise. Somehow I don't think that will be as
> satisfying as hearing my own CW echo off the moon though.
>
> I like to see most HF bands segmented into three regions:
>
> 1. CW only (probably about 50-75 kHz per band
> 2. Digital modes only (another 50-75 kHz per band)
> 3. Phone only (SSB, AM, Hi-Fi SSB, FM, and whatever else) on the rest of
> the band
>
> Each region would be exclusive for the specified modes. This would cut down
> on cross-mode QRM in general and especially during contests. While not
> specified above, a small segment of each band reserved exclusively for
> legacy modes (like AM) would be nice. I suspect that this plan is way too
> simple for most, but it seems like it would work and it's not that big of
> change from the way the HF bands are used today.
>
> 73,
> Clay W7CE

From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Thu Jan 12 13:02:09 2006
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:57:55 -0600
To: Discussion of AM Radio <amradio@mailman.qth.net>
From: "Anthony W. DePrato" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] W7RT

At 03:58 AM 1/12/2006 -0600, W5OMR/Geoff wrote:

>If anyone needed to know anymore about W7RT, this should sum it up...
>
>-Geoff/W5OMR
>----------------
yep another old ham like myself who needs to get back on his med's .

I can not understand why these guys think that No Code will bring more
young people into the hobby. the young people are into computers and
gaming. not talking. Ham radio has always been made up of those who had the
sprite born in them. it just takes exposure to the hobby to bring it to the
surface. I still recall the day i walked into my old Voc. arts class room
as a 14 yrs old and the teacher K4UNE SK had setup his  R 100 and Globe
Chief station on a bench and put up a dipole outside. during lunch that day
he showed us all what ham radios was . it only took 15mins and that spark
was set . i was in awl  amazed and 45 + years later still am.
doing away with code and giving away the tickets which is about what we are
doing now will not help. we pushed for tech's to get on 10 MT voice and 2
MT fm. we had a great influx the big 3 sold lots of gear the ARRL got lots
of new members . DID they upgrade and move on the HF NO only a handful and
i would bet that handful were the ones who had that spark lite when they
were first exposed.
i have been a VE ever since the program started and held theory and code
class's long before we could give the tests. to date i have over 200
class's under my belt . and i can say that 95% of those who finished the
class and took the test went on to upgrade. a few did not they liked 2 MT
fm and emergency nets. a few never renewed. someone said he was too old to
learn the code. my youngest was a girl of 7 yrs who passed 13wpm and the
oldest was a 79 year old man who passed 13 wpm. so that story does not hold
water. i had a friend who got his no code tech. told me he could not learn
the code. i worked with him for a week and he had learned all the letters
and numbers. now i told him just keep it up for a few more weeks. sad to
say after i did not help him every night "work stopped that " he just quite
and never tried again. so you have to have the spark that drives you or you
will never go on.
W7RT had the spark but somewhere along the line his thinking became
impaired  IMHO.
73 Tony
wa4jqs