On line Dictionary: A survey of the public or of a sample of public
opinion to acquire information.
Webster's (One of several meanings): A questioning or canvassing of
persons, usually selected at random or by quota from various groups, for
obtaining information or opinions, especially to be analyzed.

I will agree, so as not to confuse the masses, that "requested comments"
from members and nonmembers on the proposal probably would have been a
better choice of words than to use something like "they polled their
members" for comments.

Pete, wa2cwa