Well I didn't intend to open a bucket of worms here and I certainly
do not want to stop anyone that wants to experiment from doing so.  Building
a rig that has really good HIFI is a real challenge and doing it with out
phase shifts in the audio is a point of mine.  Building the rig to produce
very low frequencies but not using those frequencies is about the only way
you can prevent phase shifts in the lower frequency components.  Because as
you approach a roll off there is a phase shift that occurs at the knee of
the curve.  This phase shift at the low frequency end will alter the shape
of a complex wave that is non sinusoidal and has natural even harmonics
(natural asymmetry).  So for this reason I lean toward building the rig for
extended low frequency response but not necessarily producing them in
transmission.  Beside that, I think experimentation is good for the brain.
I don't much care for have a piece of equipment to maintain as antique.
They are all for my learning experience.  And I may drill a hole in the
front panel of anything. HIHI
        I only wanted to point out what I have found to be true in operating
it and receiving others.  There is a time and place for all.

John, WA5BXO