-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Todd, KA1KAQ
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 7:04 AM
To: Discussion of AM Radio
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] reply to SSB interference

On 1/26/06, Phil Galasso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Perhaps the best thing to do regarding these idiots is to simply IGNORE
THEM
> and NEVER mention anything on the air at all about the interference or
> heckling. This is the policy that was always used in the Army MARS nets.
> Usually, the hecklers will then go away. If they don't, monitor them
> carefully and write down their callsigns (if they use any) and other
> pertinent information, but DO NOT say anything on the air about the
> interference. Then file a complaint to the FCC.

ABSOLUTELY! Last weekend I witnessed this several times, and the
weekend before. The times that people ignored it or told the other
station they lost them on a fade or had QRN, the jammers got bored or
frustrated and left. In three other situations I heard a W2 and others
say things like 'someone is dumping a carrier on you' or 'some idiot
is trying to jam us' etc. That was all the incentive the idiots
needed, the carriers and swishing increased ten fold. It doesn't
matter if you say 'They're not affecting you though, I can still hear
you' because if they got acknowledged, they know they're having an
affect.

If you must gratify your urge to respond or need to let the other
station know you missed something, do it in an anonymous way so as not
to draw attention to the actual culprit. Tell the other station your
phone rang, their signal took a dive, someone turned on an arc welder
or *whatever*. This will at least let the station you're talking with
know that you didn't get his questions or all of what he said. Along
the lines of "I missed your last question, Larry - the phone rang' or
someone was at the door, etc. Sitting there and calling the guy names,
telling the world how angry you are and so on just feeds their
enjoyment and makes them more likely to do it in the future. You can't
do anything about it, they know it, so disarm them the only way you
can: take away their satisfaction.

As Phil says, it doesn't work everytime, but from someone who has been
stuck in listen-only mode for too long, I can tell you that it works
90% of the time at least. As soon as you let these dopes know that
they are getting to you, you are inviting more. Larry is right, the
FCC doesn't have the time, resources, or inclination to intervene on
every little complaint. Pestering them with every single instance is
more likely to make them less inclined to take us seriously when
there's a larger issue we'd like dealt with. What the FCC "should do"
is a lot different than what they are likely or even able to do.

de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ