Brad, KB7FQR --

You gave me some food for thought when you made your
point that as we get older we don't necessarily have
to lose any of life's privileges, as applied to ham
radio.

As the group in Newington tries to force the
development of digital communications, we can
legitimately question change for the sake of change.

My Comment that I shall be filing this weekend in
Opposition to the Petition RM-11306 will mention the
flawed approach of using the regulatory structure to
promote something that is not, today, becoming popular
on its own.

Indeed, there is great concern about bringing email
from the internet over ham radio that this proposal
from the ARRL would try to achieve.  I believe there's
room to encourage the development of the category of
digital communications, but feel that the operators
implementing new, controversial modes should earn a
place on the bands just like the rest of us have seen
the value of so doing.

Those who have assured the place of AM on the ham
bands over the years can take a bow, because our
record of compliance is very strong at the FCC. In
fact, based on what we know from the enforcement file,
the AM Community, as an identifyable group, is among
the most observant of the Rules today.

That should and MUST count when there are regulatory
proposals that penalize us with rules not really
matched with what we do. The imposition of a 4500 hz
audio bandpass would create problems by taking away
from us the responsible, self-determined use of
spectrum we have demonstrated, and would also hand a
tool to those who wish to file bogus complaints
against us using a phantom bandwidth standard.

We who are fighting the Petition from the ARRL hope to
wrap up a compilation of Comments opposed by Sunday
night so that they can be submitted to the FCC on the
final business day of the Comment period, Monday, Feb.
6th.

If you haven't spent a few moments expressing
yourself, please do so?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Brad, I hope you'll consider making your posting here
part of your Comment to the FCC, if you haven't
already.

Turns out you can file more than one Comment, by the
way, so no one should feel they get only one chance by
the deadline.

Paul/VJB

----------

Why do we have to change now?

Just because there are a few new modes comming on
board, why reduce the
rights of the founding fathers of radio.

We are being attacked, we need to stand WITH ONE
VOICE, leave the
founders
of radio alone.

Just because our grandparents are older, does not mean
there privileges
in
life should be reduce by others.

Brad KB7FQR