The grid gets its bias the normal grid leak way.
At the grid side of the resistor, a diode is installed between the
bias supply and the grid, in the direction that allows it to pass
bias, but if the grid leak exceeds the fixed bias, it is reverse
biased.

That's cathode towards the bias supply I think.

I like using big panel mount pots for grid leak, I have some BIG ones
I got at fests for a buck each, 75 watt jobs of different resistances.

Brett
N2DTS