I pull audio off the af gain control of my 75A4 and send to an outboard hi-fi amplifier and speaker, and it sounds pretty good. I changed some coupling caps between the detector, noise limiter and af amp, and clipped out the 510 pf caps Collins later added to the design to limit high frequency audio response.

A suspect the main source of distortion is not so much the mixer, but the mechanical filters themselves. The R-390A has similar distortion, but the R-390 (with L-C i.f. selectivity) sounds quite a bit smoother. According to the military, the conversion to mechanical filters in the 390-A was a cost-cutting measure, not for improved selecivity.

But I find the 75A4, with modified audio and outboard power amp, an acceptable compromise between AM audio fidelity and selectivity/stability/dial accuracy.

Don k4kyv

This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout. Try it - you'll like it.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/